This chickpea and kale veggie soup recipe is a great way to give your family a huge serving of healthy veggies in one sitting. This soup is super easy to make and tastes delicious. The kale cooks down and becomes super soft. Even your pickiest eater will agree to give it a try!
Chickpea & Veggie Soup
- 1-2 tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 medium carrots washed, peeled and chopped
- 4 stalks celery washed and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme or 2 tsp dried thyme
- 6 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 leaves fresh mint
- 3/4 cup brown jasmine rice
- 8 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2-3 cups cooked chickpeas avoid cans that contain BPA
- 4 cups shredded Lacinto kale remove and discard thick stems
- 1-2 medium vine tomatos chopped
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt plus more , if desired
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large pot.
Add the onion, carrots, celery salt and pepper to the pot. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5-7 minutes until translucent, stirring frequently.
Add the garlic, thyme, and parsley to the pot and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the stock, rice, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Stir well and then bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute, then reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes.
Add kale, stir well and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired.
Serve or store. This soup will stay fresh in your Sage Spoonfuls jars for up to 3 days in the fridge and 3 months in the freezer.
- Serve in your Sili Elephant dish with sliced grapes and your little one's favorite crackers.